West Coast Teaching Excellence Awards
Nominations are now open for the West Coast Teaching Excellence Award, hosted by the British Columbia Teaching and Learning Council (BC and Yukon). Nominees for this award will have demonstrated a proven commitment to enhance student engagement and learning, a reflective and intentional approach to teaching practices, and dedication to teaching improvement, including successful implementation of any of the 94 Calls to Action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada.
The BCTLC recognizes up to five recipients from different post-secondary institutions. An internal selection process will be held each year to determine the nominees from UBC Okanagan. Applicants/Heads are invited to contact Brad Wuetherick, Associate Provost, Academic Programs, Teaching and Learning for advice on the process, criteria and nomination materials, and opportunities for feedback as the dossier is prepared. Internal applications are due to the Provost Office by November 30, 2023. Full applications from selected nominees are due to the BCTLC by the end of February 2024.
- Internal applicants must submit a letter of no more than 4 pages outlining how their teaching practice addresses award criteria. Applicants do not need to address all the criteria in their letter and should focus on the criteria that their teaching work most strongly supports.
- An internal review committee will review the letters and choose up to two nominees from UBC Okanagan. This review committee consists of:
- Associate Provost, Academic Programs, Teaching and Learning
- Academic Director, Centre for Teaching and Learning
- Two previous UBC Okanagan teaching award winners
- Decisions will be based on the BCTLC West Coast Teaching Award eligibility and criteria
- Selected nominees will complete the full award submission dossier, with support from the Centre for Teaching and Learning. The Associate Provost, Academic Programs, Teaching and Learning will write the nomination letters.
- The completed application will then be forwarded to the BCTLC Awards Committee by the deadline.
|Invitation to submit applications
|Internal application due Provost Office
|Internal review committee meets to select nominees
|Applicants informed of internal nomination decision outcome
|Application dossiers due to Provost Office to facilitate writing nomination letters
|Application dossiers submitted to BCTLC Awards Committee
|End of February