The Associate Provosts bring a wealth of experience and expertise to the Provost’s Office. Under the direction of the Provost, they lead initiatives across four key areas and provide the necessary administrative support to ensure initiatives thrive.
The Associate Provost, Academic Operations and Services provides leadership, vision and coordination of learning services on the Okanagan campus. Working in collaboration with the Associate Vice-President Students’ portfolio and learning support units across campus, this role is responsible for:
- infrastructure development and implementation of the Continuing and Professional Education unit to deliver new non-credit programming;
- advancing the campus’ commitment to experiential learning opportunities for students;
- providing leadership of the academic integrity portfolio;
- overseeing Open Educational Resources grants and programs; and
- supporting the enrolment services portfolio.
This position is filled by Heather Berringer, who also served as the Okanagan campus’ Chief Librarian until 2023. Heather led the development of new programs, spaces and innovative partnerships that have significantly enhanced the learning experience at UBC Okanagan and established the Library as a thriving nexus of scholarly engagement for faculty and researchers.
The Associate Provost, Academic Affairs and Strategy focuses on the development and implementation of a comprehensive strategy for advancing academic innovation at UBC Okanagan, in accordance with UBC’s Strategic Plan. This role is responsible for:
- fostering an institution-wide climate of academic innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- developing a culture of shared governance;
- providing leadership for the development of initiatives and programs that connect UBC’s two campuses;
- supporting the development and implementation of an interdisciplinary academic appointment strategy, including the strategic involvement of Okanagan communities and industries.
This position is filled by Peter Simpson, who also serves as the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies. Dr. Simpson holds a tenured appointment as a Professor in the Department of Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics and Statistics, in the Irving K. Barber Faculty of Science.
The Associate Provost, Academic Programs, Teaching and Learning provides strategic leadership, vision and coordination for the teaching and learning mission at UBC Okanagan. An overarching focus of the portfolio is to find strategies to create an inclusive, anti-racist teaching and learning environment at UBC Okanagan. Working with students, faculty, staff, academic leaders and other relevant partners, the Associate Provost, provides leadership in seven broad areas:
- program development, redesign and quality control;
- development of educational pathways and collaborations;
- student success;
- oversight of the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL);
- educational leadership;
- online learning; and
- lifelong learning.
This position was established in May 2021 and is filled by Brad Wuetherick. Brad joined the campus in 2021 from Dalhousie University, where he served as the Executive Director, Learning and Teaching for eight years.