The UBCO Arts Career Apprenticeship program (UBCO ACAP) links Central Okanagan employers with a pool of talented, soon-to-be UBC Okanagan arts, humanities and social sciences graduates for early-career employment opportunities.
Participating businesses and organizations will have the opportunity to work with qualified and employment-ready new graduates, and will receive a grant for four months’ salary for the hired candidate. Employers are required to create an accelerated career apprenticeship opportunity for a new graduate, and commit to providing mentorship and opportunities for skill development.
- Receive a grant valued at four months’ salary (up to a maximum of $10,000) for the hired candidate
- Direct access to a competitive pool of graduating students that can contribute to your company’s growth and development over a 12-month period. Participating students will have completed employment readiness training and support prior to beginning placements
- Receive support through the application, hiring and interview process from UBC Okanagan’s Career Development team
Employer Requirements & Eligibility
- Open to established businesses or organizations located in the Central Okanagan region, with a minimum of seven employees (exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis). Businesses must be in good standing with WorkSafeBC.
- Employers are required to:
- Create an accelerated career apprenticeship opportunity for a new graduate
- Provide mentorship, a learning environment, and opportunities for skill development
- Commit to a minimum 12-month term of employment (starting after May 2023)
- Fund eight (out of 12) months’ salary for the hired candidate. (The ACAP grant will be equal to four months’ gross salary and the maximum subsidy is $2,500 per month)
Employer Dates & Deadlines
|February – March 15, 2024
|Submit the expression of interest form
|March 15, 2024
|Employer job postings due
|March 31, 2024
|All student applications are due
|April 2-24, 2024
|April 26, 2024
|Deadline for employers to make final decisions and inform students
|May 6, 2024
|ACAP positions begin *case by case date exceptions may be considered
Join the Program
Funded positions will be financed on a first-come, first-served basis. If you wish to make an offer, please confirm and secure a funded position via email to email@example.com.
Once an employer agreement is signed, the employer is to provide monthly invoices via Workday for four months (months 1, 2, 11 and 12) of the one-year placement. This process will be thoroughly communicated to employers.
No. While a formalized mentorship program is not required of employers, we ask that the employee have a point of contact within the business or organization that can provide career guidance, mentoring and access to networking opportunities.
No, positions cannot be shared between two employers.
No. ACAP only funds wage subsidy.
Yes. Employers can post more than one job opportunity; however, each employer is only eligible to receive funding for up to two positions.
Please email the status of your student job offer to firstname.lastname@example.org. If a student does not accept a job offer employers will no longer receive the grant.
ACAP students have diverse educational backgrounds and employment skills to contribute, employers are sure to find a great fit for their role. Arts majors offered at the UBC Okanagan campus include Anthropology; Computer Science; Economics; Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies; Geography; History; Indigenous Studies; International Relations; Mathematics; Philosophy; Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE); Political Science; Psychology; Sociology; Art History and Visual Culture; Creative Writing; Cultural Studies; English, French and Spanish.
Please visit the UBC Okanagan Student & Alumni Job Board. Ensure to select Arts Career Apprenticeship from the Position Type.
Kathryn Hall, BBA, CCDP
Industry & Employer Engagement Specialist