The UBCO Arts Career Apprenticeship program (UBCO ACAP) links Central Okanagan employers with a pool of talented, soon-to-be UBC Okanagan arts, humanities and social sciences graduates for early-career employment opportunities.
Participating businesses and organizations will have the opportunity to work with qualified and employment-ready new graduates and will receive a grant for four months’ salary for the hired candidate. Employers are required to create an accelerated career apprenticeship opportunity for a new graduate, and commit to providing mentorship and opportunities for skill development.
- Direct access to a competitive pool of graduating students that can contribute to your company’s growth and development over a 12-month period. Participating students will have completed employment readiness training and support prior to beginning placements.
- Receive support through the application, hiring and interview process from UBC Okanagan’s Career Services.
- Receive a grant valued at four months’ salary (maximum $4,000/month) for the hired candidate.
- Have the opportunity to submit multiple job postings, increasing your chances of hiring a student.
- Participate in a program that encourages hiring locally.
Employer Requirements & Eligibility
- Open to established businesses or organizations located in the Central Okanagan region, with a minimum of seven employees (exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis). Businesses must in good standing with WorkSafe BC.
- Employers are required to:
- Create an accelerated career apprenticeship opportunity for a new graduate.
- Provide mentorship, a learning environment, and opportunities for skill development.
- Commit to a minimum 12-month term of employment (start date and timeline to be confirmed)
- Fund eight (out of 12) months’ salary for the hired candidate. (The ACAP grant will be equal to four months’ gross salary and the maximum subsidy is $4,000 per month).
Join the Program
Funded positions will be financed on a first-come, first-served basis. If you wish to make an offer, please confirm and secure a funded position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should program funding reach its maximum, UBC Okanagan will notify all employer applicants with active postings via email.
Once an employer agreement is signed, the employer is to provide monthly invoices via email for four months (months 1, 2, 11 and 12) of the one-year placement.
No. While a formalized mentorship program is not required of employers, we ask that the employee have a point of contact within the business or organization that can provide career guidance, mentoring and access to networking opportunities. Students will also be paired with a mentor through the UBCO ACAP for the duration of their employment term.
No, positions cannot be shared between two employers.
No. ACAP only funds wage subsidy.
Yes. Employers can post more than one job opportunity, however, each employer is only eligible to receive funding for up to two positions.
Jana Petrone BA, MA (She, her, hers)
Manager, Career Development