The UBCO Arts Career Apprenticeship program (UBCO ACAP) links Central Okanagan employers with a pool of talented, soon-to-be UBC Okanagan arts, humanities and social sciences graduates for early-career employment opportunities.
Participating businesses and organizations will have the opportunity to work with qualified and employment-ready new graduates and will receive a grant for four months’ salary for the hired candidate. Employers are required to create an accelerated career apprenticeship opportunity for a new graduate, and commit to providing mentorship and opportunities for skill development.
- Direct access to a competitive pool of graduating students that can contribute to your company’s growth and development over a 12-month period. Participating students will have completed employment readiness training and support prior to beginning placements.
- Receive support through the application, hiring and interview process from UBC Okanagan’s Career Services.
- Receive a grant valued at four months’ salary (maximum $4,000/month) for the hired candidate.
- Have the opportunity to submit multiple job postings, increasing your chances of hiring a student.
- Participate in a program that encourages hiring locally.
Employer Requirements & Eligibility
- Open to established businesses or organizations located in the Central Okanagan region, with a minimum of seven employees (exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis). Businesses must in good standing with WorkSafe BC.
- Employers are required to:
- Create an accelerated career apprenticeship opportunity for a new graduate.
- Provide mentorship, a learning environment, and opportunities for skill development.
- Commit to a minimum 12-month term of employment with a start date no later than June 1, 2021.
- Fund eight (out of 12) months’ salary for the hired candidate. (The ACAP grant will be equal to four months’ gross salary and the maximum subsidy is $4,000 per month).
Employer Dates & Deadlines
|February 16, 2021||Submit Expression of Interest|
|February 22, 2021||Job postings due|
|February 24, 2021||Student job postings open|
|March 10, 2021||Student job postings close|
|March 11-30, 2021||Interviews occur|
|April 9, 2021||Deadline for hiring decisions and contract process begins|
|April 16, 2021||Provide job offer letter|
|April 26, 2021||Sign employer contract|
|June 1, 2021||Last date for student positions to begin|
Join the Program
Complete the Expression of Interest form by Feb 16, 2021 in order to confirm eligibility. The program administrator will be in contact to confirm your business or organization is eligible to participate.
If you do not have an existing UBC Student & Alumni Job Board account, register for an employer account. This will allow you to submit a job posting, review applications, and book interviews.
To register please go to https://okanagan-ubc-csm.symplicity.com You will a receive confirmation within one to two business days, at which time you can complete step three.
Log on to the Student & Alumni Job Board to post a job(s). On the right-hand side under “Shortcuts”, click “Post a Job.” Under “Position Type” click “Arts Career Apprenticeship Program” and you will be re-routed to the ACAP Job Form.
Your posting will be uploaded to the Student & Alumni Job Board within one to two days for qualifying ACAP students to view.
Interviews will be held between March 11-30th, 2021. In order to align this process as close to your typical hiring practices, employers will be responsible for coordinating all necessary interview timings and locations.
If you identify a successful candidate, prior to making a job offer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your funded position. Once secured, the funding for your position will be held for you until an employer contract is signed. The deadline for securing funded positions is April 9, 2021.
Employers are required to provide the selected candidate with a job offer letter that outlines the position details, compensation, and work terms. Once signed by the student, please provide a copy via email to email@example.com. Complete this step by April 16, 2021.
UBC will provide the employer with an employer contract. The employer contract will include the payment terms for the reimbursement of the candidate’s monthly salary for months 1,2, 11, and 12 of the employment term. The deadline to submit the signed employer contract is April 26, 2021.
In order to receive reimbursement, the employer is responsible for invoicing UBC on months 1, 2, 11, 12.
Funded positions will be financed on a first-come, first-served basis. If you wish to make an offer, please confirm and secure a funded position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 9, 2021.
Should program funding reach its maximum, UBC Okanagan will notify all employer applicants with active postings via email.
Once an employer agreement is signed, the employer is to provide monthly invoices via email for four months (months 1, 2, 11 and 12) of the one-year placement.
No. While a formalized mentorship program is not required of employers, we ask that the employee have a point of contact within the business or organization that can provide career guidance, mentoring and access to networking opportunities. Students will also be paired with a mentor through the UBCO ACAP for the duration of their employment term.
No, positions cannot be shared between two employers.
No. ACAP only funds wage subsidy.
Yes. Employers can post more than one job opportunity, however, each employer is only eligible to receive funding for up to two positions.
Jana Petrone BA, MA (She, her, hers)
Manager, Career Services